My New Year's Resolution? Be a better mother.
Why is it so easy to waste time on unimportant things? So often I focus on things that don't matter in the long run. By no means am I a bad mom (don't worry), but I want to be better! I want to engage myself in that time I have with my kids and be there mentally and emotionally, not just there in the same room.
This song by Michael McLean pretty much sums it all up better than I can (Lullaby for Me):
This hasn't been a day that I would call my best
I'd give myself a failing grade if this had been a test
I did not comfort you when you were all alone
I was too busy crying through some problems of my own
Today I have not been the mom you needed me to be
And tonight I wish that you could sing
A lullaby for me
I'm glad that you can sleep, I wish that I could too
I'm sorry that today I wasn't really here for you
I must have slipped away to some far distant land
Where I'm the child who cries until her mother takes her hand
Today I have not been the mom you needed me to be
And tonight I wish that you could sing
A lullaby for me
Tomorrow I'll reclaim my proper place
I'll tuck you in and gently kiss your face
I'll do the things a mom's supposed to do
And I'll know what those things should be
Cause now I need them too
This hasn't been a day that I want to repeat
I'm sorry I could only say I'm sorry while you sleep
Today I have not been the mom you needed me to be
And tonight I wish that you could sing
A lullaby for me
Tonight I need someone to sing
A lullaby for me.
I'd give myself a failing grade if this had been a test
I did not comfort you when you were all alone
I was too busy crying through some problems of my own
Today I have not been the mom you needed me to be
And tonight I wish that you could sing
A lullaby for me
I'm glad that you can sleep, I wish that I could too
I'm sorry that today I wasn't really here for you
I must have slipped away to some far distant land
Where I'm the child who cries until her mother takes her hand
Today I have not been the mom you needed me to be
And tonight I wish that you could sing
A lullaby for me
Tomorrow I'll reclaim my proper place
I'll tuck you in and gently kiss your face
I'll do the things a mom's supposed to do
And I'll know what those things should be
Cause now I need them too
This hasn't been a day that I want to repeat
I'm sorry I could only say I'm sorry while you sleep
Today I have not been the mom you needed me to be
And tonight I wish that you could sing
A lullaby for me
Tonight I need someone to sing
A lullaby for me.
Why do they have to grow up so quickly? But, I am grateful they do :)
Carolyn! You are a wonderful woman. I think you are an amazing mother and I know that you work hard enough to make sure you know you are too! Good luck on your resolution! I know you'll do great!!
ReplyDeleteOH p.s. Were you guys ever able to send my nanny's Christmas card to us in Utah? Let me know if you need my address!!
ReplyDeleteYou're already amazing! You make me hold myself to a higher standard.
ReplyDeleteI think you just inspired a new years resolution for me too! I couldn't think of any until I read your post but I feel the exact same way about my choices as a mother sometimes. Can I steal your resolution?? :) you're such a good example to me. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteI feel the same way you do! I don't feel as though I'm a bad mom, but I feel that there's so much more I can be doing to improve, but I also focus on things that don't have an eternal benefit. I feel so backed up in my house that I use the excuse that I will be a better mom once everything is in perfect order, but I don't know if it will ever get there!
ReplyDelete