I saw this bumper sticker the other day and thought it was so powerful:
Life is not about surviving the storm,
but dancing in the rain.
It really hit me. Hard. I've been going through a lot of personal struggles lately. Since January, I've been plagued with depression and anxiety. Panic attacks are no fun. :) I've gone to doctors, and just recently a counselor, and things are looking better, but it's given me some time to think about life. Granted, there are MUCH much worse things to experience in life, but this challenge has been a tough one for me.
Some things I've learned, or I should say am learning: Slow down! Life is to be enjoyed, it's not just a chore. I watched Michael inquisitively look at this slice of bread - a piece of bread! There is just so much wonder in the world that I just pass by. It sounds cheesy just writing this, but it's true. I've looked at rainclouds in such a different light. Have you every noticed that raindrops look like jewels on leaves - it's incredible! If I hadn't slowed down my rushed pace, I would never have noticed this. I'm glad that I can figure this out now, instead of fifty years from now.
Where is the pressure coming from? I felt I needed to home-educate my children, bake my own bread (not to mention homemake everything else), keep a clean home, socialize my kids/myself everyday, attend storytime, serve the neighborhood/world, etc. I was gone every single night with some activity that I had to attend. I was worried that my children were going to suffer enormously from their lack of attending preschool and my not knowing how to do the Heimlich maneuver, while second-guessing everything I'm doing. I really, truly think that what little children need most is the love and security from a mother being home with them - showing love to them. Throwing everything else out (at least for the time being) has seemed to help.
I never took any time to myself - a break, a time to develop my own talents. I thought my kids' development was more important than my own. Therefore, guilt reared its ugly head every time I even thought of slipping away for a second to read a book or just stop. A mother is a person with her own identity. My development is just as important as my children's. It is so nice to sit down and eat with my kids instead of jumping up every ten seconds for whatever it is they have demanded. :) They still get what they need (after I'm done), but I also get what I need: time to sit and time to do what makes me an individual.
I've been blessed to enjoy a wonderful life, but when trials or hard times come about, it's easy to forget this. Through these experiences, I've really come to know God. He isn't trying to punish me for not knowing how to do life in the right way :) Rather, He has helped me through all this and is showing me the way out (and let me tell you, I'm so thankful there's a way out!!). He is teaching me how to find joy in the journey and to appreciate all the wonderful things I've been blessed with. One major thing that I've learned through all this is that I have value, meaning, purpose, worth - so many things that others may not reinforce, but that God reinforces daily. When I pay attention, I recognize His hand in so many little, but so significant, ways.
So, whatever experiences you may be going through - take heart and hope :) Life isn't perfect for anyone, regardless of how it appears. So, though it may be raining (as is often the case here), go out and dance! :)
You're amazing!! I hope you always remember that. And dang, you reminded me that I have a blog too...and it is sorely neglected.
ReplyDeleteCarolyn~
ReplyDeleteReading your blog touched me and I wanted to let you know that I felt the same way when my kids were little. We want so many things for them and have this expectation that everything should be a certain way, perfect mother, perfect wife, perfect house. There is no way we can keep standards at perfection at all times! I think you have reflected on this much earlier than I did! I think that loving your kids, showering them with that love is the biggest gift you can give them, without losing sight of you. I am old now, have struggled with letting things go as best I can. I still struggle but I really try to be present and listen when they need me. There is not manual for parenthood........... the pictures of your children show how happy they are. I say "Outstanding!"
Much Love,
Aunt Kris
I'm so glad to hear you're getting better! I hope things continue to improve for you :)
ReplyDeleteDarn... I left this big nice long comment about how awesome you are and about how I think you're great... and it got deleted! SO... Just know I think you are fabulous and I'm so glad you're getting better and focusing in on those "good, better, best" things. It's hard to find "bests" among the "goods" we find as LDS women. Good luck and I'm praying for you!
ReplyDeleteLove, Heather
Hi! Elise and Michael look so big! I'm sorry you have had to deal with some not so fun things lately. I was telling my father in law last night that I have a hard time being at home with zero adult interaction all day and that blogging is a really helpful way for me to feel some sort of interaction. You could blog... even privately if you didn't want to be too open- although I think if things are in the open there is much more support from all those you are around and love you. Wait until nap time or if your kids watch movies turn on their favorite and get a big glass of ice water and just relax, blog, read, bake (in my case), and take time for yourself. Just like you said you have been doing. But do it for more than just 5 -10 minutes. As moms we definately need time for ourselves. Heck, go to the beauty school for a pedicure... it is great and maybe $10? I may need to start doing that. ha. So, I am sorry you have had some down days but you sound like you have your priorities straight- you understand that life is still great. Say hi to Rand for Tim.
ReplyDeleteThanks! I never thought of ran as jewels!! That is so awesome!! This whole motherhood/wifehood/stay-at-home cleaner thing is not always fun when we have to live up to the superhuman thing. Maybe if we are lucky we'll make it through. Thanks for shareing your greatest struggle.
ReplyDeleteWe have some unseen connection. Every time you write something, I feel like they are my words as well, but that I have yet to say them.
ReplyDeleteIsn't it interesting how Satan tries to get at us even when we try to cut out so many worldly things? Somehow, he still sneaks in and works hard us. I'm sure that part of it is because we as wives and mothers have such an influence in our homes with our husbands and our children. If Satan can get us caught up in whatever...he has an easier time getting to our loved ones as well :(
I love the bumper sticker saying you brought up. It reminds me of not merely trying to survive, but at striving to thrive in this life. That is a happy, beautiful, refreshing and inspiring thought. Thank you!
Thank you Carolyn! This post helped me. You've probably already read it, but Pres. Uchtdorf's talk last fall "Of things that matter most" really spoke to me. This conference, Elder Robbins gave a talk "What manner of men and women ought ye to be?" that I really enjoyed.
ReplyDeleteThanks again for this post. Hope you continue to enjoy the little things. :)
Carolyn, what a wonderful post, there is so much that rang true to me as I read it, I struggle with so many of the same things. Thank you for being open with your struggles and what you are learning. Its a lesson for us all and a great reminder for me. I miss hearing your insights each week and learning from you as a neighbor. I'm glad you blog! You are a great woman!
ReplyDelete